[Oacrao-l] question about certificates

Armstrong, Pamla R. parmstrong at ecok.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:12:21 CDT 2013

Hello from Ada,

To all who are developing certificate programs, I have some questions
for you.  This is a new subject to all of us and we have found there are
more details to be considered than we originally thought about.  Isn't
that the way it usually is?  J

Are you charging the student's completing a certificate program a
"completion fee" much like a "graduation fee"?

If yes, how much?

If yes, are you charging  a single fee for each certificate completed if
they get more than one?

If  they are graduating and getting a certificate at the same time are
you charging a graduation fee and a certificate fee both?

Are your certificate only students going to participate in commencement
exercises or any other ceremony?

If yes, which and what kind of ceremony if not commencement?

If they are participating in commencement and are only getting
certificates, will they wear a cap and gown or just regular clothes?  (I
am not sure that it is even protocol that a non-graduate can wear a cap
and gown.  I don't think so.)

Are your Certificates of Completion going to have similar wording to
your diplomas except for different reference to certificate rather than
regular degree?

Will they be on standard diploma paper?

If different from a diploma, how?

I know this is a new subject to all of us and we have all had questions
of some sort.  Please reply with a list all so we can all see what
others are doing and get new ideas.  Any information you want to throw
in will be most helpful.  Have a good afternoon and thanks in advance!

Pamla Armstrong

Director of Admissions and Records/Registrar

East Central University

1100 E 14th ECU PMB J-8

Ada OK  74820-6999

(580) 559-5239 (Phone)

(580) 559-5432 (Fax)

East Central University's mission is to foster a learning environment in
which students, faculty, staff, and community interact to educate
students for life in a rapidly changing and culturally diverse society.
Within its service area, East Central University provides leadership for
economic development and cultural enhancement.