[Oacrao-l] Electronic signatures and workflow

Stringfellow, Alan astringfellow at occc.edu
Mon Jan 13 12:06:39 CST 2014

At OCCC we don't use electronic signatures for grade changes as well.  I am a little "old school" when it comes to wanting a signature on a triplicate form that gets distributed to three different offices.  We have a number of checks and balances with something so important as a change of grade and this ensures that the appropriate instructor and dean are signing the form, not someone's assistant.  We could automate the process a little with the workflow we have at our disposal, but the workflow process that we have is separate from our ERP system and, therefore, the process would not add much value yet would increase the possibility of someone submitting a change that should not be doing so, thus we continue pushing paper with these requests.

We have not automated petitions (late withdrawals, never attendance review, etc), but it is more due to lack of time and, at this point, this type of project is not very high on the priority list of "things" to do given the other projects that are a little bit more important.  We will run into the same issue though, with our workflow being separate from our ERP, it doesn't add much value to us.

We are getting close to finishing a customized project within our ERP system that will allow an instructor and division dean to authorize enrollment into a class or specific section for late enrollment and capacity and pre-requisite override.  This will allow many offices to authorize enrollment while allowing the student to go on-line to enroll rather than forcing the student to come on-campus to enroll.  We are very excited about this new functionality and hope our on-line enrollment will double as a result.  The student will use their electronic signature to gain access and enroll in the classes/sections that have been authorized.  This customized workflow is a function of our ERP and will be very cool once completed.

Alan