[Oacrao-l] Legislative Update Clarification

Archer, Daniel darcher at osrhe.edu
Thu Mar 6 10:48:09 CST 2014

I hope everyone is having a good week.  I want to provide some clarification regarding the legislative update from last week.

Under Senate Bill 1829, the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education would be required to develop a policy by which students in the Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps, Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps or the Navy/Marines Reserve Officers' Training Corps would be eligible for resident tuition, provided these students satisfy specific provisions.  During the update last week, I indicated that this legislation would require the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education to develop a policy for students in the reserves to be eligible for resident tuition.  In actuality, this legislation would only apply to students who present to the institution valid documentation of receipt of an Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps, Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps or the Navy/Marines Reserve Officers' Training Corps full scholarship.

Additionally, it is also important to note that the House's first legislative deadline was February 27, 2014.  Therefore, all bills originating in the House must have passed out of committee by that date in order to continue to advance in the legislative process. We discussed two House bills last week that did not make it out of committee before this deadline.  The first bill, House Bill 2318, which would have provided an exemption from certain accreditation requirements for religious, theological or faith based institutions, failed to pass out of the Higher Education Committee.  The second bill, House Bill 3179, which would not allow an institution to charge a student for a remedial class if they graduated high school within the last three years, was assigned to the Rules Committee but was not heard.

I just wanted to take a moment to clarify the issue with Senate Bill 1829 and provide an update on House Bill 2318 and House Bill 3179.

Thank You,

Daniel Archer
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
655 Research Parkway
Oklahoma City, OK  73104
Phone: (405) 225-9142