[Oacrao-l] a question concerning concurrent admissions

Armstrong, Pamla R. parmstrong at ecok.edu
Mon Nov 24 12:07:32 CST 2014

All, I found out that my emails were blocked from OACRAO-l so I am going to resend this in hopes it gets through this time.  I appreciate any information anyone can provide.  Thanks.

Pamla
Good morning,

We have an unusual situation that I have never faced before and I need help on how you all handle this.

We had a Junior high school student apply as a concurrent  admit for this fall who said he was attending Epic Charter High School in Davis OK.  His Principal/Counselor/Parent form indicated he was enrolled in 0 hours at the high school.  We explained that he needed to show enrollment so he brought in a new form showing that he was enrolled in 2 classes and the schedule of those classes. (English IIIA and Physics IA)  The schedule showed that he was going to take English IIIB and Physics IB for the spring.

Last week the student came in to see what he needed to do to enroll again for the spring as a 2nd semester concurrent high school junior.  When he was told he needed another Principal/Counselor/Parent form and an updated schedule of classes, he told the admissions officer he was not enrolled in high school.  He said he was only taking ECU courses and Epic Charter High School will be using those as his high school classes.  Thus, the form and the schedule for this fall are neither one accurate.

So for my questions,

Can a student be considered concurrent if they are not enrolled in any high school?

If a school is using our courses to satisfy their enrollment requirements, how can we say they will meet curricular requirements upon graduation?  In this case, the student had two years of English his freshman and sophomore years and is taking our Comp I in the fall and Comp II in the spring.  That is only one year, thus he would be deficient one year, right?  He does have a high ACT English score but still yet, how can the high school graduate him with only three years English.

If the high school decides to graduate this student at the end of this year (as indicated by the father as a possibility), are we ok to accept that given that his transcript shows only 9th through 11th?

Does the transcript from a charter school have to show the SDE statement like all other Oklahoma high schools?

What is the difference in a charter school and a regular public school in reference to admission requirements.

On a different note, what do we do if we find that a student provided us information and later changed their status/enrollment?  Had the student not said anything, we would never have known the difference.

This is a new area for us and any help would be most appreciated.

Pamla Armstrong
Acting Director of Admissions and Records
East Central University
1100 E 14th St, ECU PMB J-8
Ada OK  74820

Phone (580) 559-5239
Fax        (580) 559-5432

East Central University's mission is to foster a learning environment in which student, faculty, staff, and community interact to educate students for life in a rapidly changing and culturally diverse society.  Within its service area, East Central University provides leadership for economic development and cultural enhancement.