[Oacrao-l] Gender Identity & Records

Adam Johnson ADJohnson at uco.edu
Thu Jul 9 23:38:45 CDT 2015

Okay, this one may be a little different than the more typical listserv questions, but some of our staff in our Campus Life recently faced a question that relates to student records.  So, here's the question that was posed to me...

We received a phone call earlier this week from a student that was currently in the process of transitioning genders  -(female to male).  He was interested in finding out about opportunities in Greek Life.  Our Greek Life staff handled the questions fine- but of course this leads to bigger institutional impact questions.

                At what point does the university officially recognize the students gender has changed.  When do we update information in Banner?  What type of documentation do we need to receive to make this change in Banner, diploma's, alumni networks, etc.

When it comes to changing the student's record, we would require a revised birth certificate or perhaps something adjudicated from the appropriate court.  Have any of your institutions encountered this issue and developed policy? Appreciate any information you can share.

Dr. Adam Johnson, Associate VP/Registrar
Student Affairs
University of Central Oklahoma
100 N. University Drive
Edmond, OK  73034