[Oacrao-l] Awarding Credit for Military Experience

Taylor Baird TBaird4 at uco.edu
Tue Apr 26 16:02:10 CDT 2016

1.      Does your institution award credit for military experience?  Currently, UCO only awards credit for military training and not for military experience.

2.      What vehicle(s) do you use to assess this credit (JST, portfolio review, etc.)?  See below.

3.      How do you determine which credit to award (ACE recommendations, faculty review, etc.)?  I'm combining these responses because credit assessment and awarding credit are very similar at UCO.  We use the JST's ACE recommendations as a baseline for what credit to award, subject to the Regent's policies on Prior Learning (i.e., no awarding of credit outside of disciplines we are authorized to teach).  By default, this will be elective credit for the discipline we teach at UCO as either a 2000-level or 3000-level depending on the level recommended by ACE (UCO does not award vocational credit, and I can't recall ever receiving graduate credit).  If the subject matter of the training could be directly articulated to a UCO course or indirectly articulated to satisfy an area of the core curriculum, I submit the ACE Course Exhibit to the appropriate department chair for a 'Yes/No/More Information' response.  If the department requires more information, we ask the student to produce their training documentation for a portfolio review.

4.      For which course(s) do students most commonly receive credit for their military experience?  UCO commonly awards HLTH 1112: Healthy Life Skills and physical activity credit for basic training in accordance with the guidelines established by UCO's Department of Kinesiology and Health Studies.

5.      Does your institution participate in the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) program?  If so, how do you participate?  It's my understanding that UCO is a member of the SOC program but we don't participate in its offerings.

Taylor Baird
University of Central Oklahoma
Assistant Registrar - Articulation
Nigh University Center, Room 121U
I'm hoping you can spare a brief moment to answer a few questions about how you award military credit (if at all) on your campuses.  I'm just gathering background information to get an idea of how this is happening across the state and it's not for any policy we are currently working on.  If you could reply to me with the answers to the following questions, I would very much appreciate it.

I hope everyone is having a great day and staying weather-aware!

Best,
Kyle

1.      Does your institution award credit for military experience?

2.      What vehicle(s) do you use to assess this credit (JST, portfolio review, etc.)?

3.      How do you determine which credit to award (ACE recommendations, faculty review, etc.)?

4.      For which course(s) do students most commonly receive credit for their military experience?

5.      Does your institution participate in the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) program?  If so, how do you participate?

Kyle Foster, M.S.
Coordinator for Academic Affairs Projects
655 Research Pkwy, Ste. 200 | Oklahoma City, OK 73104
P.O. Box 108850 | Oklahoma City, OK 73101-8850
P: (405) 225-9163 | F: (405) 225-9230
kfoster at osrhe.edu<mailto:kfoster at osrhe.edu> | www.okhighered.org<http://www.okhighered.org/>

[http://www.okhighered.org/logo-guidelines/images/RegentHighEdu-2c-horz-lr.gif]