[Oacrao-l] Recently discovered old credit for current student: What would you do?

Kristie Luke KLuke at se.edu
Mon Feb 1 13:58:26 CST 2016

Hi Paul,

At Southeastern, we would combine the records.    If it lowered the overall gpa and/or institution gpa below graduation standards, we might look at possible forgiveness options such as repeated courses or academic appeals to request "W" grades.    One could make the case that since it wasn't on the current transcript then the student was not aware or notified of his/her options for an academic reprieve or renewal.  The student could argue that they thought the bad work was already forgiven since it didn't show up when they returned.  In my opinion, there would be justification for an exception to policy  (graduation or forgiveness) since it was not caught earlier.

Kristie

Kristie Luke
Associate Dean of Academic Records/Registrar
Southeastern Oklahoma State University
1405 N 4th – PMB 4139
Durant, OK 74701
580.745.2176