[Oacrao-l] HiSET, TASC, and GED Information

Archer, Daniel darcher at osrhe.edu
Thu Feb 18 09:00:11 CST 2016

OACRAO members,

A recent inquiry on the listserv was posed regarding the High School Equivalency Exam (HiSET).   Thus, I want to provide some background on the HiSET as well as the most up-to-date information regarding its use in Oklahoma. I also want to share some information on a similar exam, the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) exam.

As a background, the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education (CareerTech) is responsible for overseeing many adult education initiatives, including the state's high school equivalency diploma program. Under the previous statutory language that specifies Career Tech's role in such matters, the term General Education Diploma (GED) was used.  GED is a Pearson product; thus, by using this terminology, CareerTech was limited to one assessment option.

Last year, in House Bill 1687, a more generic term, high school equivalency diploma, replaced GED.   By virtue of this amendment, CareerTech is no longer solely limited to GED and, in turn, was able to explore other assessment options.  As such, CareerTech has selected the HiSET and the TASC as acceptable exam options, which can be used in addition to the GED, to determine if one is eligible to earn a high school equivalency diploma.

The HiSET is currently being administered at some testing sites in the state.  Additionally, an agreement to administer the TASC has recently been signed; thus, some testing sites will also likely begin offering the TASC exam later this year.

While CareerTech approves which exams can be used to assess if one is eligible to earn the high school equivalency diploma, each testing site has the autonomy to determine which approved exam it wishes to administer.   As it has been in the past, upon successful completion of the assessment, the State Department of Education is responsible for issuing the credential.

In closing, when one earns a high school equivalency diploma, regardless of whether it is earned by virtue of a GED, TASC, or HiSET exam, it should be recognized for admission purposes.

I look forward to seeing everyone at CU next week.

Daniel Archer
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
655 Research Parkway
Oklahoma City, OK  73104
Phone: (405) 225-9142