[OK-AIR] Student rating of instruction

Livingood, Susannah B. slivingood at ou.edu
Fri Jul 21 14:07:16 CDT 2017

Reply from OU:

1. Do you have a common form that is used for all classes?
No, we have 23 evaluation forms. Each college chooses the content of their evaluation form. Some colleges have specific forms for specific course formats, i.e. labs. We also have the ability for custom supplemental questions per section, course, department, and college.

2. Is the process done on paper or online or some combination?
Our course evaluations are completely online.

3. Do you survey students in every class every semester?
Yes, we conduct course evaluations for every section offered, every semester. We do limit evaluations to sections that have two or more students enrolled and we do not evaluate thesis/dissertation, directed readings, or independent study courses.

4. Can you share response rates for each of the formats (online vs. paper)?
The last time we conducted paper evaluations was in Fall 2009. Our overall response rate was 62%. Since we went completely online in Spring 2010, our average response rate is 54%. Slightly lower, but the quality of the data is SO much better.

5. Is there an institutional policy about how much student feedback plays into reappointment, tenure, and promotion decisions?
There is a section of the tenure and promotion dossier to include course evaluation reports, but there is not institutional policy regarding how these reports are used specifically.

6. Other things I should have asked and didn’t.
If you’re going digital, automate as much as possible.