[OK-AIR] Student rating of instruction

Jennifer Ivie Barth jennifer.ivie at tulsacc.edu
Mon Jul 24 12:15:06 CDT 2017

From: OK-AIR [mailto:ok-air-bounces at lists.onenet.net] On Behalf Of Cia Verschelden
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:09 AM
To: 'ok-air at lists.onenet.net' <ok-air at lists.onenet.net>
Subject: [OK-AIR] Student rating of instruction

Friends,

If you have a moment or two, could you provide a bit of information about how you gather student input on instruction?

  *   Do you have a common form that is used for all classes?  - Yes.  Up until last year we had 3 forms (f2f, online, and nursing), but they barely differed so I was able to convince the faculty to combine.  At the same time, they changed the form from a really long form.  We now only ask a minimal number of Likert-type questions, and about 5 open-ended questions
  *   Is the process done on paper or online or some combination? – Fully online using Blackboard Enterprise Surveys.
  *   Do you survey students in every class every semester? – Yes.
  *   Can you share response rates for each of the formats (online vs. paper)? – It was before my time that we were doing it paper and pencil.  But, our response rate has never been great.  It was in the 40% area this last semester.
  *   Is there an institutional policy about how much student feedback plays into reappointment, tenure, and promotion decisions? – Faculty have to reflect upon their results in their annual review.
  *   Other things I should have asked and didn’t. – What system people use if it is online.  We were using SmarEvals up until last year.  But, the faculty weren’t in favor.  We’ve started using Blackboard Enterprise Surveys as it is built into the system and doesn’t cost extra.  It has its limitations, but it functions just fine for this and it’s tied directly into the course sites in BB.

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Ta,

Cia

Cia Verschelden, M.S.W., Ed.D.
Executive Director Institutional Assessment
Office of Academic Effectiveness
University of Central Oklahoma
100 North University Drive, Box 113
Edmond, OK  73034