[OK-AIR] Miscellaneous Questions

Karla Oty koty at cameron.edu
Thu Nov 2 15:59:12 CDT 2017

Cindy,

Answers for Cameron below

I have several topics for which I would like feedback:

1.       When your institution deletes a program, how long do you allow for teach-out? Do you treat option/major deletions any differently if the program is still active?

It depends on the program and what goes in the paperwork for the regents.  3 years is typical for a bachelor's degree

2.       Have you come across the website College Factual (https://www.collegefactual.com/)? What do you know of them and what is your opinion?

Never heard of it before.  The major that they ranked for our best ranked major (whatever that means) is one that we haven't had in 5 years or so.....

3.       For publications (web and/or paper), do you redact or adjust small numbers? If so, what is your cutoff figure?

It depends on the audience.  If we are reporting number of students who graduated with a degree, for example, we will include the actual number even if it is 1 or 2.  For surveys, we usually want at least 10 responses before we would include the response.

4.       How do you calculate graduation rates or time to completion for students beginning in the fall term vs students beginning in the spring term vs students beginning in the summer term?

I called IPEDS about this a few months ago when they released the information that we have to include our Spring starts in the Outcome survey this year.  They told me that (non-high school) students who start in the Summer are included in the Fall cohort if they continue into Fall.  If they do not continue into the next Fall, they are not put into a cohort.  We have to report the degrees earned by the end of the Summer term, which shorts the year for Spring students by a semester.  I pointed out to them that didn't seem fair to the spring starts as they don't get a full year for the last year.  (If a student starts in Spring 2010 and we have to report whether or not they got a degree by Summer 2013 they have one less semester than the Fall starts to complete their degree).  They thanked me for my input.  :)

We actually have not been reporting graduation rates for spring starts but will follow the IPEDS rules even though I have a philosophical difference with their definition.

Karla

Cindy Boling
Executive Director, Institutional Research | University of Central Oklahoma
Edmond, OK  73034 | 405.974.2547 | 211A Admin Bldg | cboling at uco.edu<mailto:cboling at uco.edu>
http://www.uco.edu/academic-affairs/ir/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uco.edu_academic-2Daffairs_ir_&d=CwMFAg&c=ozaQIQjULwvu86-OCdkRYHRNoyiIvjO9RGA_WNqbchA&r=CAC6bUxj_mTiuB0KVt-0mIlYOGYLDWZAw5T6d4FyNpw&m=3g9Pj0s3c-Q59dfLhZUYwqF0hnC4NEtpjSHeajD7Z8E&s=unw6-ZYKawdrRN3pqBW7yA8In7vgHCxFB_ko7_uMhx4&e=>