[Okgrantsmanship] Good news for higher education - funding for R&D has increased!!

Mason, Linda lmason at osrhe.edu
Mon Nov 24 13:32:41 CST 2014

Federal budget authority for R&D in FY 2014 rises slightly

November 19, 2014

New data indicate that in fiscal year (FY) 2014, Congress gave federal agencies authority to spend $3.2 billion more on research and development and R&D plant (together) than in FY 2013. However, the increase only partially offset successive declines experienced in previous fiscal years.

According to a report<http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/2015/nsf15308/> just released by the National Science Foundation's (NSF) National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics, preliminary data for FY 2014 shows a 2.4 percent increase in federal budget authority for R&D and R&D plant, totaling an estimated $135.7 billion in current-year dollars. The increase, to a degree, counterbalances cuts in federal budget authority for R&D and R&D plant, which were down $4.6 billion in FY 2011; down $0.6 billion in FY 2012 and down $11.3 billion in FY 2013.

Funding cuts have fallen much more heavily on national defense than on nondefense budget functions.
Dr. Linda Mason
Coordinator of Grant Writing
405-225-9486 desk
405-706-8757 cell
405-225-9230 FAX
lmason at osrhe.edu<mailto:lmason at osrhe.edu>
www.okhighered.org/grant-opps/<http://www.okhighered.org/grant-opps/>

Do not be afraid to give your time to writing grant proposals. Time given to planning proposals is never time lost, but is rather time gained, so that our research, our programs, our collaborations and indeed our whole profession may become more profoundly significant.