[Okgrantsmanship] RCR (Responsible Conduct of Research) Requirements

Mason, Linda lmason at osrhe.edu
Wed May 3 16:26:46 CDT 2017

Kathi,

The discussion we had yesterday was based on a posting at Iowa State, and therefore their interpretation of the NIH, NSF and NIFA requirements for Responsible Conduct of Training. I cannot find verification of the requirement for faculty in the information posted directly on the NSF website. However, I DO see the requirement for faculty in the information posted directly on the NIH website.

So, for the purposes of our discussion questions, IF your training is to meet both NSF and NIH training:

*         You cannot use CITI online training alone. You must supplement it with face-to-face training.

*         You must meet the NIH-specified 10 items of content in the subject matter.

*         Faculty can achieve their training by being a trainer.

*         You can determine the timing of the training; in other words if it is not offered when a researcher begins the research, you can make sure the researcher receives the training when it is offered.

*         At least 8-hours, preferably more in a semester long series of seminars.

I am providing these links for you to verify my research. See how you read it. See you later this month.

Iowa State University Office for Responsible Research - www.compliance.iastate.edu/rcr/training<http://www.compliance.iastate.edu/rcr/training>

1.       National Science Foundation FAQ's about the RCR Requirement - https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/rcr/rcrfaqs.jsp#3

See FAQ 3: "Who must receive the RCR training?" - ....students (undergraduates and graduates) and postdoctoral researchers who receive NSF funds (support from salary and/or stipends to conduct research on NSF grants) will obtain RCR training....
See FAQ 8: "Do undergraduates, graduate students and postdoctoral researchers have to receive RCR training before being identified on a proposal to NSF? - ....No. It is not required that the training be completed at that time. The institution plan for training should include when individuals are to receive the training.

NSF's Implementation of Section 7009 of the America COMPETES Act - https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2009-08-20/html/E9-19930.htm
Are faculty required to have RCR? - ....faculty members are not required to take such training....institutions, at their discretion, may expand the scope of such training to include other categories of individuals...

2.       NIH Update on the Requirement for Instruction in the Responsible Conduct of Research - https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-10-019.html

Basic Pinciples
See BP5: Instruction should include face-to-face discussion by course participants and faculty; i.e., on-line instruction may be a component of instruction in responsible conduct of research but is not sufficient to meet the NIH requirement for such instruction....
Policy
NIH requires that all trainees, fellows, participants, and scholars receiving support through any NIH awards must receive instruction in responsible conduct of research.

3.       NIFA Responsible and Ethical Conduct of Research - https://nifa.usda.gov/responsible-and-ethical-conduct-research

Dr. Linda Mason
Coordinator of Grant Writing
405-225-9486 desk