[COPLAC-IR] NSSE COPLAC consortium

Turrentine, Cathryn cturrentine at keene.edu
Wed Sep 4 10:05:30 CDT 2013

Colleagues -

Recently I asked how each of you use the NSSE consortium question data
and a few replied that you use some individual questions, though I
didn't hear whether you were just tracking your own information or if
you were comparing your responses to the rest of COPLAC. Perhaps the
association itself uses these responses in some way that was not
enumerated.

I'm going to tiptoe way out on a limb here, and someone please haul me
back gently:

KSC will certainly do what COPLAC decides in this matter, but I have to
say that I haven't heard anything that suggests a big value-added to
asking these questions, especially on an already-long survey in a time
of declining response rates. What my institution gets most out of
participating in the NSSE consortium could be had just as well by
choosing each of the COPLAC participating institutions as a comparison
group, especially if we all chose a common add-on module. Are we just
doing these added questions because we've always done them?

I ask these questions recognizing that I am very new to COPLAC, so maybe
I've just not heard what everyone else already understands about this,
and I'd love to hear it. Again, I emphasize that KSC will of course do
what the group decides. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why and
how these questions are useful enough to ask all of our students to
respond to them.

Respectfully-

Cathy

*************************************

Cathryn Turrentine, Ph.D.

Director of Institutional Research

Keene State College

Hale Building, 3rd Floor

229 Main St.

Keene, NH 03435-1506

603-358-2117

The Office of Institutional Research provides evidence that informs
decision making and helps to shape the campus conversation around
important issues.