[Counselors] Protocol for Suicidal/Self Harming Students

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Apr 24 15:09:26 CDT 2014

Automatic call to the DHS Abuse and Neglect Hotline.  1-800-522-3511

Calling from the counselor's office will give you computer access to
pertinent demographic info that will be requested from and helpful to DHS.

We have learned that three calls to DHS from different individuals speeds up
their response to your issue.  However, they have ALWAYS quickly checked
into reports I have made with regard to suicide.

First, however, I meet with the student privately.  We discuss the issue.
It's helpful to know how much planning the student has done.  When does he
plan to do it?  Where?  How?  How will he get there?  Etc.  The more you
know, the more DHS can help.

If the student will permit me, I take a picture in the event of cutting,
etc.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!

Don't allow the student to be alone.

I try to encourage the student to allow me to contact his parent.  Usually
the student will give you permission and then you don't have to worry about
whether or not you are breaking confidentiality.

Cindy Bryant, NBCT, M.Ed.

Idabel Middle School

Idabel, OK