[Counselors] Help needed please

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Nov 16 16:17:46 CST 2016

We had to get a little creative when we had a similar situation.

Since we do not have an ELL department or person, I had to go through all
the training to give the W-APT and WIDA.  That testing process is about as
clear as mud and extremely time consuming and so very frustrating.  I also
had to write an LIEP (language IEP), which was also a new frontier with
very little guidance.  To help the student, we hired a consultant ELL
instructor from a neighboring community college to come in to provide the 2
hours per day (reduced each year as students' proficiency in English
increased) and also purchased Rosetta Stone for students to use when/if
consultant was unavailable.  These services were outlined in/decided upon
in the LIEP process.

Good luck to you and this student!

*Sally Randolph*
Counselor, A-J
*Skiatook High School*
Skiatook, OK
918.396.1790 Ext 2409

*"Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve." -Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.*