[Counselors] Home school students

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Sat Jun 3 21:33:47 CDT 2017

Must be accredited if wanting to receive credit from homeschool curriculum for us. Having said that, we passed a new non-accredited private school credit transfer policy. If from a non-accredited private school, we use the institution-to-institution, non-accredited transcript in combination with at least one other evaluation form, listed on the policy, like certified teacher evaluation, testing, portfolio, etc. plus a committee of no less than three that includes the head principal. Once a grade is determined for credit, the student/family then has the option if they want to keep it for credit or retake the class. If you would like to see or use this policy to modify your practice, let me know. I'll send a copy or attach one here.
dana.martin at guymontigers.com<mailto:dana.martin at guymontigers.com>

We will not accept transcription from an unaccredited process or institution for core credits. We would allow the student to attempt earning credits through a Course By Proficiency where we test them through Edgenuity, our virtual curriculum. For proficiency the student must earn 90% on an exam to earn a P for proficiency. If they earn enough credits to class as a specific grade level, that's how they're classified.

Owasso High School

If it is from an accredited school, yes we take the credits. If it is from a private school that's not accredited but they are military....you can take them as credits under the military compact. Otherwise, I had a home school student who wanted to come in as a sophomore and so they had to take ninth grade proficiency test such as algebra one, government and other subjects that he said he had studied.  He passed three different subjects with over 90%.   So we gave him a P on his transcripts. But we did not necessarily consider him a sophomore until he had a certain amount of credits.

Hello!  I was wondering what other school's do when they have a student come to the high school from being home schooled?  This potential student has had a variety of curriculum form various different companies (Teaching Textbooks, Apologia, School house, Bob Jones University, and Accelerated Christian Education).  I was planning to have him test, he was homeschooled for his freshmen and sophomore years.  He wants to come to us as a junior.

I know we have had a couple of other students from a church school, but their curriculum was accredited and we took those grades.  Le t me know what your school does in this situation.

Thanks for your help!
--
Kacee Poteet, MPH
Guidance Counselor, L-Z