[Oasfaa] College Access Initiative- Request for Input to Identify Oklahoma Programs

Edington, Rick redington at ogslp.org
Mon Aug 7 14:16:32 CDT 2006

Schools:

As you may be aware, the Higher Education Reconciliation Act (HERA)
included a section known as the "College Access Initiative".  This
initiative solidifies college access as part of the guarantor's mission
and requires the Department of Education to work with the guarantor
community to ensure that information about planning and paying for
college, career planning and financial literacy is available to the
general public.  To help fulfill this requirement, OGSLP is working with
the National Council of Higher Education Loan Programs (NCHELP) and
Mapping Your Future (MYF) to develop a national portal to state-specific
information.  Our assignment is to build an Oklahoma specific section
that includes listings of programs available in our state.

We have received listings of TRIO and GEAR UP programs throughout the
state, but are now in the process of identifying local and community
based programs and efforts.  Examples of these types of programs could
include local outreach centers, summer bridge to college programs, early
awareness programs for junior and high school students, adult learner
advisement programs and other access and financial aid awareness and
financial literacy projects.

If you are aware of local programs of this nature, please contact me at
redington at ogslp.org or (405) 234-4333.  Our initial deadline for the
national portal is August 31st.  However, we will be updating and
managing the information on an ongoing basis.

Thanks for your help in ensuring that Oklahomans have a robust directory
of access oriented programs!

Rick

Rick Edington
Director for Operations & Client Services
Oklahoma Guaranteed Student Loan Program
Phone:  (405) 234-4333
Fax:  (405) 234-4551
redington at oglsp.org

Note:  This communication and attachments, if any, are intended solely
for the use of the addressee hereof.  In addition, this information and
attachments, if any, may contain information that is confidential,
privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are
not the intended recipient of this information, you are prohibited from
reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or
otherwise using this information.  If you have received this message in
error, please promptly notify the sender and immediately, delete this
communication from your system.