[Oasfaa] (no subject)

Mc Conahay, Pamela K. pmcconahay at ou.edu
Tue Jul 18 15:51:49 CDT 2006

Marilyn,

I think a lot of people are still under the impression that Selective
Service notifies young men of the registration requirement by
mail......they don't.  Everyone has seen the old WWII era movies where
the young man says "well, I got my draft notice" and he has this letter
in his hand......that's the letter that says "BE HERE ON THIS DAY, YOU
BELONG TO US NOW".....not a letter telling them they need to register.
It's one of those societal responsibilities that everyone "just
knows"......like you have to file income taxes, you need a driver's
license to drive a car, you can register to vote at 18.

I struggle between my "ignorance of the law is no excuse, did we need to
send you a letter telling you of every other law you're subject to,
haven't you ever walked into a public library or a post office in your
life?! " opinion and my "how is society helped by denying this person a
benefit that will improve society and his life, when he's too old to be
of use to our military now anyway?" opinion.

The students I've dealt with in the past on this issue have, by and
large, been students that I am DARN GLAD aren't going to be joining the
military and being handed a gun.  If they don't tell me that they
intentionally didn't register because they don't believe in war, etc., I
give them a pass.  After all, these are the students who probably need
an education more than most......

Pam McConahay
Assoc. Dir., Compliance, Training & Lender Relations
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
1000 Asp Avenue, Room 216 Norman OK 73019-4078
(405) 325-4617  Fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu

This message, and attachments if any,  from the University of Oklahoma
may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this information, you are prohibited from reading,
disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using
this information.  If you received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender and delete this message immediately.  Thank you.