[Oasfaa] Guarantor Question

Hollingsworth, Larry larry.hollingsworth at swosu.edu
Wed Mar 1 14:02:46 CST 2006

Great question Jonna. I'll be the first to jump in. Hopefully, others
will join us. You're not alone struggling with this delimma. Many of us
are "in a pickle" on this one though.

Who among our students, if given the opportunity to pay zero fees or pay
a 1% fee would opt for the 1%? Not many I'd bet. At the same time who
among our financial aid offices wants to sit down with a student/parent
and defend processing a loan with 1% fees when it could have been
processed with no fees? I don't look forward to that type of a
conversation. Therefore, I'm trying to figure our a simple way of
communicating the choices to our students and let them make the decision
for themselves.

When lenders are biting the bullet and waiving fees in order to be
competitive, I'd like to see OGSLP do the same thing. Unfortunately, I
don't believe state schools have to same flexibility that privates do in
pursuing a better alternative for their students. Let's face it,
polictics are part of the environment in which we live. So if anyone has
any creative solutions in mind, please share them with the rest of us.

These observations are not intended to represent anyone but me.

Larry