[Oasfaa] Dependency Question

Karen Jeffers jeffersk at redlandscc.edu
Mon Mar 28 11:21:45 CDT 2011

We have a student who completed the 2010-11 FAFSA as Independent saying that she was in Guardianship.  She currently lives with her mother and grandparents.   She claims that the grandparents support both her and her mother.  Student and mother presented a Letter of Guardianship to the FA Office that states, "We, (student's grandparents), do solemnly swear that we will discharge all and singular duties of the guardianship of the person of the above-named minor, (name of student), according to state law and to the best of our ability."  This letter is signed by a judge and was filed with the district court less than 2 months before the student turned 18.   Mom did work in 2009 and based on what they reported as her income, she would be required to file a tax return, but hasn't.

Should this student be considered Independent based on the guardianship status regardless of the living situation and continued relationship with student?

Thank you in advance!
Karen

Karen Jeffers
Director of Financial Aid