[Oasfaa] PLUS borrowers in default

Jonna Raney jonna.raney at okbu.edu
Thu Aug 4 08:31:24 CDT 2016

I know we don't want to talk about or think about checking PLUS borrowers for past Stafford loan default but it's a regulation and we have to check before we can disburse a PLUS loan. (I know, the DOE should check this when they apply for the PLUS, but as FSA, they said that they don't and that we have to.)

So, we are in the process of checking parent borrowers for loan default and we have two already. They have loans in default from the 80s and 90s, so now we get to make the awkward calls to tell them they cannot get the PLUS loan that they were approved for on the studentloans.gov site.

Does anyone have a script or letter that they send? We will call them because classes start soon and they need to figure out what they can do to resolve the issue or find another option to pay, but I'd like to send a letter for documentation purposes as well.

Thanks,

Jonna Raney

Director of Student Financial Services

405.585.5020

[1470088547676_PastedImage][1470088509784_obu-letters.svg]