[Oasfaa] Distance Learning Question

DanGHolt at aol.com DanGHolt at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 09:27:40 CDT 2001

I am forwarding this email as a service to the financial aid community:
Dan

Hello everyone. For those of you familiar with the Distance Education
regulations, I am seeking your interpretation of the 50% rule. At Clarkson
College, we have classes that are completed over the Internet and with
audio/video tapes. They are the same time frame and course content as the
classes taught on campus. I have been told over the past few years that if
we have either more that 50% of our total classes taught by distance or more
than 50% of our students taking at least one class by distance education, we
would lose our federal funding. Also, our auditors have always looked to
make sure both our numbers were under 50%.  I have a higher administrator
who says that this interpretation is incorrect. He believes that we would
have to meet both criteria in order to lose funding. I'm hoping some of you
out there have some expertise in this area and can guide me to the correct
interpretation. If I'm wrong, I just want some information to readjust what
I've been taught. If I am right, then I'd like use your information to back
up my position.

I greatly appreciate any assistance you can give. Attached is the distance
education section of the student handbook. Thanks!!

Jennifer Wurth
Clarkson College
Wurth at clarksoncollege.edu