[Oasfaa] Happy Independence Day!

Mc Conahay, Pamela K pmcconahay at ou.edu
Tue Jul 3 17:18:15 CDT 2001

My "daughter", Cindi Lou (a former workstudy student we "adopted"
who is now a government documents librarian) sent me this statistical
synopsis of how we celebrate the Fourth of July, so I thought I'd share.
I guess digging up arcane info on the web and sending it to friends runs
in the family, huh?

At our house, we're planning on entertaining our local fire dept. (also
known
as "no sir, there's no fire, my husband is just cooking on the grill") and
going to see the new movie  "Cats & Dogs".  No, we won't try to sneak our
dogs into the theatre...they'd hog the popcorn.

However you celebrate, have a safe and happy holiday!

Pam McConahay
Asst Dir., Compliance & Support Svcs
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
731 Elm, Rm 125, Norman OK 73019-2111
(405) 325-4617, fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu

> CB01-FF.09                                                   June 20, 2001
>
>                     The Fourth of July 2001
>
> Fireworks
>
> $116.8 million
> Value of U.S. fireworks imports from China in 2000. This represented the
> bulk of total U.S. fireworks imports for the year ($124.8 million). U.S.
> exports of fireworks, by comparison, amounted to $11.9 million, with
Taiwan
> purchasing more than any other country ($5.1 million).
> <http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/www/>
>
> Flags
>
> $747,800
> The dollar value of U.S. imports of American flags in 2000; a little more
> than half of this amount
> ($381,600) was for U.S. flags made in Taiwan.
> <http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/www/>
>
> $202,600
> Dollar value of exports of U.S. flags in 2000. Mexico was the leading
> customer, purchasing $49,800 worth.
> <http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/www/>
>
> Patriotic-Sounding Places
>
> 30
> Number of places in the nation named "Liberty." According to Census 2000,
> the most populous one was Liberty, Mo. (26,232). Iowa had more of these
> places than any other state: four (Libertyville, New Liberty, North
Liberty
> and West Liberty).
>
> There were 11 places with Independence in their names. The most populous
is
> Independence, Mo., where Census 2000 counted 113,288 residents. Five
places
> adopted the name Freedom. Freedom, Calif., with
> 6,000 residents on Census Day, 2000, had the highest population among
> these. <http://www.census.gov/clo/www/redistricting.html>
>
> Summer
>
> 32
> Gallons of beer consumed by the typical American adult in 1999; it is
> believed a hefty proportion of this is imbibed during holidays such as
July