[Oasfaa] possible scam

Mc Conahay, Pamela K pmcconahay at ou.edu
Wed Jul 31 13:50:58 CDT 2002

Lynell,

The fafsa.com site has been out there for several years, it's operated by a
retired FAO in California.  And, because it is a commercial site that has
paid for consideration, it shows up first on yahoo type searches and I'll
bet it's a keyword on AOL too.

 The saddest story I heard was a student who tried to use fafsa.ed.gov and
couldn't get it to work, so he gave up and used fafsa.com, figuring that the
$79 fee was what it took to get the link to work.

This is one of the reasons why we encourage students to start the
application process at our web site.....we can link them through to the
right place and keep this from happening.

Pam McConahay
Asst. Director, Compliance & Support Services
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
731 Elm, Rm 125 Norman OK 73019-2111
(405) 325-4617  Fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu