[Eoscstudents] Menu for Mon. July 10

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Mon Jul 10 10:08:09 CDT 2006

Hi folks,

Well, I hope you all enjoyed the warm weekend we just had.  I had to
laugh when my daughter came running in the house the other night saying,
"Mom!  Mom!  There's a possum in the yard.  I'm keeping it!  It's going
to be my pet!"  Of course that didn't  happen.  After adopting the new
hamster just a couple of weeks ago, I don't believe we need another pet
to tend to.  It was getting a drink at our water tub that I keep out for
our herd of critters to use.  (Some of them drink out of it, and some of
them swim in it.)   I told her to go get the cat carrier and we'd load
it up and take it to the park where it would be safe (and so would our
chickens and eggs!  As a matter of fact, the next day, a little hen
hatched out 2 babies in our henhouse and since possums love to snack on
chickens, it was pretty good timing to take this one elsewhere! )
Evidently I was a little late on keeping the possum safe, though.  When
we relocate one, I usually pick it up by the tail, (with gloves on), and
put it into our cat carrier for the trip to Robber's Cave.  This one
surprised me though...no tail!  Something had already gotten hold of it,
and all they got was a possum tail for their trouble.  We managed to get
it into the carrier with a little nudge from a shovel and some help from
Nancy Tackett's son, Davidson, that's a buddy of  Destiny's and lives
nearby and took off for the park.  We were trying to find a deserted
spot to let the possum go, but there kept being a car driving into
everyplace we were going to go.  We finally found a spot across the road
from where the car was, pulled over and got out to unload the carrier,
and here came the car.  Turns out it was park employee asking if we were
going to be fishing.  I sheepishly told him that we were just relocating
a possum.    He laughed and said he just wanted to warn us to watch for
copperheads, that there had been several reports of them being out that
night.  He even loaned us his flashlight for our relocation process
since my daughter had touched mine and it died.  So if you're out at the
park and see a no-tailed possum running around, I bet I know where it
came from!

Our menu for today includes (no possum):

            Goulash
             Scalloped potatoes
             Green beans
             Winter blend vegetables
             Corn bread
             Rolls

Our fast food is Hot Ham and Cheese and chips.

And for dessert have a piece of summertime:  Peach Cobbler

Come and get it!