[Eoscstudents] Menu for Tues. July 18

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Tue Jul 18 10:19:26 CDT 2006

Hi folks,

Well, we're in a seemingly unending string of over 100 degree days.  I'm
so thankful for what little air conditioning we've got working at the
house.  That's the only thing that makes life bearable in this heat.  Be
sure and keep your outside plants watered and keep extra water out for
your pets and other critters that will surely be needing a drink during
this heat wave, and follow the heat safety instructions that Mark Hill
forwarded to everyone.  I really feel sorry for all the animals and
birds that have to be out in the heat.  I just have to hope that they're
better equipped to handle it than I am!  They can do some pretty amazing
things in order to survive.  The other day when I rode our 4 wheeler
down through our woods with the loppers to clear our trail a little bit,
since it grows up so quickly when we don't keep a handle on it, I saw
the neatest little deep cup shaped bird's nest hanging just a couple of
feet from the ground on a low hanging hickory limb.   It was neatly
woven with thin little strips of grass, some bark, lichens from trees,
spiderweb and moss.   I certainly couldn't build anything like that,
could you?   I don't know what kind of bird makes a nest like that, but
I may have to check in my bird books and see if I can find out.  There
was no one at home in it at the time, and considering the time of year
that it is, and with the heat the way it is, it's probably not a good
time for baby birds.   If it doesn't look like anything is going to use
it, I may have to cut that branch and take the little nest to the Nature
Center at the park for everyone to see.  It's really a work of art.

Don't forget to attend the Pake McEntire concert (Reba's brother) this
evening at Robber's Cave State Park.  It is being sponsored by Barbara
Gilbertson who is running for state representative in Dist. 17, but all
proceeds go to benefit our local volunteer fire departments.  They have
a hard, but very important job and desereve our support.  They had the
little fire that broke out on our place recently out almost before I
even knew there was a fire.  Now that's service!

Our menu for today includes:

             Spaghetti with meat sauce
             Breadsticks
             Crispy cube potatoes
             Green beans
             Winter blend vegetables
             Rolls

Our fast food is Hot Ham and Cheese on a bun with Chips.

And for dessert we have Banana Nut Cake.

Keep cool,