[Eoscstudents] Menu for Tues. July 25 Don't forget to Vote!

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Tue Jul 25 10:05:50 CDT 2006

Hi folks,

Well, I survived my first night of swimming class and lived to tell
about it.  At least I know I'm not the only one in the world who
survived to adulthood without learning how to swim.  Actually, I guess
you could say, I do know how to swim, just like I know how to fly,  just
flap your arms and take off, but somehow my actions don't translate into
the desired result.  (Maybe it's because, astrologically speaking, I'm a
fire sign.  Water is not my element!)  Kim Ott was in the class with me,
and she better show up again tonight, and she's already ahead of me.
She can already float.  Somehow when I'm trying to float, I get panicky
when my head gets low and water starts going in my ears.  I guess I just
don't float as high as I feel like I should for my own comfort and
security.  (I always heard fat floats, but I really doubt this.  You
sure couldn't prove it by me.)   Mary is very patient though and has
promised not to drown me or anyone else.  I told her I've never wanted
to pass a class so badly in my life:  I think the ones who don't pass drown!

Also, today is election day for several offices from the state level on
down to local positions.  We all really need to go and make our voices
heard in these matters.  I've seen the advertisements on TV and some of
them are really scary.  (I wish they would've taken a lesson from Kathy
Taylor who ran a successful campaign for Mayor of Tulsa and did not
sling mud at her opponent.  Her platform was all about her experience,
skills and abilities, and desire to do the job well.  Some of these guys
running now and in a lot of elections don't seem to be able to build
themselves up without tearing the other guy down.)  I know everyone says
if you don't vote you can't fuss about what the elected officials do,
but we know that's not true.  It's human nature for us to voice our
opinions about what's going on, especially if we don't like it.  I know
one vote doesn't seem to count for much, but I want to make sure that I
at least go and try to get whichever person I feel is most qualified
elected.  You should too.

And today is recycling day at the Agriculture Building across the
highway.  This is sponsored by the Latimer County Extension Service, and
from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm they will be accepting pesticide containers
(must be tripled rinsed), car or pickup tires, and old batteries for
recycling.  They will not accept tractor or ATV tires.  For more
information call:  465-3349.

Our menu for today includes:

            Seasoned baked pork loin
            West of the Pecos Casserole
            Mashed potatoes and gravy
            Baby carrots
            Peas
            Corn
            Pasta bar
            Rolls

And for dessert have some delicious Fruit Cobbler.  (We have ice cream
to top it off with, too.)

See you at lunch,