[Eoscstudents] Menu for Thurs. June 15

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Thu Jun 15 09:53:08 CDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I hope you're having a great day, looking forward to a great weekend.
Looking at the weather report on TV, it looks like there's a 70% chance
of rain both Saturday and Sunday, but hey, we won't melt will we?  It
might just cool things off and make everything fresh and green again.
As long as it doesn't rain on the rodeo or the parade and festivities
downtown on Saturday.   The rodeo parade is Saturday at 4:00 and I
understand there will be some other things going on in town earlier that
day.  A reenactment of a bank robbery, possibly.  When I was a kid,
(back 100 years ago), we used to have a week long festival going on in
town every summer called the Belle Starr Western Festival, and I
couldn't stand to miss a minute of it.  Of course when I got older, I
learned that a lot of the merchants thought it was a pain in the
derriere, due to traffic congestion, kids running in and out with squirt
guns, and a hundred other reasons, but I sure did miss it once they let
it die out.   Every day at noon, the Belle Starr gang would ride into
town, rob the bank, hang someone (with a safety harness), throw loot to
the kids and ride out with guns blazing, (blanks of course).  It was
always very exciting and I thought getting to play Belle Starr would
just be the coolest thing ever.   I think the objection that finally
killed the festival off was that we were glorifying an outlaw, and what
did that teach our children?  I guess one good thing came out of the
demise of the Belle Starr Festival.  People realized we did need some
sort of a festival or gathering of some sort, so it wasn't too many
years, I don't think, before they started the Fall Festival out at
Robber's Cave.

Our menu for today includes:

            Roast beef
            Mashed potatoes and gravy
            Broccoli casserole
            Seasoned baby carrots
            Brussels sprouts
            Rolls

And our fast food is Chili Dogs with Shredded Cheese.

And for dessert I can smell yummy Brownies already, and I'll be tasting
one before it's over with, too!

Come on over,