[Eoscstudents] Menu for Manic Mon. Oct. 16

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Mon Oct 16 10:05:57 CDT 2006

Hi folks,

Boy, we sure had a nice Saturday followed by an extremely wet Sunday!
My family and I journeyed to Keota Saturday for the Overstreet-Kerr
Historical Farm Fall Festival and ran into Les and Ruth Brelsford along
with C. C. and Suzee Puckett.  That's always an enjoyable place to visit
and they looked like they were having a good time too.

Then Sunday my husband and I went to the Latimer County Genealogical and
Historical Society meeting where the guest speaker was Eastern's own
Coach Clyde Wooldridge.  His subject was the history of coal mining in
this area, which is a major reason a lot of our ancestors came to this
area.  He has written a book on this subject  which should make for very
interesting reading, with stories on some of the influential citizens
(and maybe some of the infamous citizens, too)  that played a part in
the history of the towns in this area.  He also mentioned that he has
written a book about the history of Eastern Oklahoma State College,
which is due out in the spring, and should also be very interesting
reading.  He also said that if he is invited back, (and I bet he will
be), he has information to share on the origin of last names and their
meanings.  That could be a lot of help in doing genealogical research,
as well as just interesting to listen to.

I hope as many of you as can are planning to attend the lecture given by
Rep. Jari Askins today at 11:00 in Mitchell Auditorium.  It is not every
day that we have the opportunity to learn from someone so influential in
our state, and it should be well worth attending.

Our menu for today includes:

          Spaghetti with meat sauce
          Whole little potatoes
          Green peas
          Italian vegetables
          Okra
          Rice

Our fast food is a Chicken Strip Sandwich.

And for dessert we have some tasty Peach Cobbler.

Come on over,