[Eoscstudents] DV Awareness

Levenia Carey lcarey at eosc.edu
Thu Oct 11 09:49:16 CDT 2007

Good Morning:

First, I would like to thank all those who came out and supported the
CVPP's program on domestic violence awareness.  We had a great
response.  Students and community people alike were drawn to red display
and came to find out what was going on.  Dr. Smith signed a proclamation
proclaiming October as Domestic Violence Awareness on the campuses of
Eastern Oklahoma State College and placed our purple ribbon.  Thanks to
Rev. Anthony Washington for leading a prayer on behalf of victims and
their families and his words of encouragement for those who are in
abusive situations.

Second, I would like to thank all my helpers and volunteers.  I would
love to mention names but fear that I might over look someone
unintentionally.  You know who you are and I'm forever grateful for your
help in placing my silent witnesses, picking up my silent witnesses - as
they had great difficulty enduring the wind, for placing the feet and
hand prints on the roll out paper for display, for help in setting up
and taking down, for taking the photographs and preparation of articles
to enhance awareness and understanding.  To Student services for all the
help and support.

I encourage you to continue to wear your purple ribbons all month.  We
will be at the McAlester campus on Monday with a domestic violence
display and pledge prints.

Our winners from yesterday:

Guessing game:   Jelly beans - Aimee Jones, she guessed a 103 and there
were 113.
                          Fireballs - Thomas Poor, he guessed 36 and
there were 36.

Random drawing winners:  Denell Cooley
                                         Staci Walling
                                         Billy Roberts
                                         Tarrant King
                                         Tanaya Dabney

Congratulations to all and thanks for your support in our effort to
educate and end violence against women.  Prizes can be picked up in my
office after 2:00 p.m. today.

If you did not have an opportunity to stop by our display yesterday but
would still like to take the pledges against violence - you may do so in
my office on the first floor of Miller Hall (There is no room number
above my door but there are signs).  Help is available and we are ready
to assist you in any way needed, please feel free to drop by.  The state
hotline is open 24/7 and is anonymous, please seek help if you need it.
The number for "Safeline" is 1-800-522-7233.

Have a great day!
Levenia
918-465-1757
1st floor Miller Hall