[Eoscstudents] Menu for Mon. July 14

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Mon Jul 14 10:00:38 CDT 2008

Hi again folks,

I hope your weekend was wonderful.  It never ceases to amaze me how
quickly they go by, (even the longer ones.)  And I discovered I may have
been a little premature in reporting "victory over snakes in the
henhouse" last week.  I was about to go out to fasten up the chickens
last Thursday night when I teasingly  told my husband I'd let him know
if I found him another snake to whack.   His response to that idea was
less than enthusiastic.  Never in a million years did I think there
would actually be another one out there...in the same spot.  I hurried
back in the house to tell him the "good news", and his response was,
"You're kidding me!"  I swore that no, I wasn't, but he still thought it
was just my idea of a good joke on him.   I finally managed to convince
him that I was serious about this second snake, so he followed me out
just to make sure.  Sure enough, it was still there, not as big as the
other one, but still nothing to sneeze at.  He had managed to grab up
the loppers somewhere while coming around the house, but put them down
in favor of the old standby shovel he'd used the previous night.  Having
a little bit of recent experience to draw upon, he managed to get this
one subdued in half the time, and with a lot less wild whacking, and
then decided the loppers might just come in handy after all, if he only
had 3 hands.  Somehow though, he did manage to keep the snake pinned
with the shovel while getting the loppers clamped onto it near its
head.  Dropping the shovel in the chickenhouse, he backed out of there
with the snake pinched firmly in the loppers.  He kept pinching it until
he figured it had to be good and dead, then proceeded to fling it off
into the weeds.  I couldn't see the look on his face, but his whole body
looked shocked when the loppers sailed right along with the snake!  He
had really had that snake pinched in those things and they didn't let go
nearly as easily as he had thought they would.  I had to give him the
flashlight so he could go trudging off into the  weeds and briars to
retrieve the loppers, while trying not to step on any snakes, dead or
alive.  I'm hoping this will be all of our snakes adventures for quite
some time, since we've killed a pair of them.  The only question I have
now is , Wonder how long it takes for snake eggs to hatch?

Don't forget our slight price increase goes into effect today.
On-campus diners will now pay $5.00 and people from off campus will pay
$5.50.  That's still a bargain for a good meal with several choices,
along with a salad bar, drink and ice cream available.

Susie Smith reported to me this morning that there had been a house fire
this weekend in which a young family lost all their belongings.  Justin
Staley and Kim Morrow Staley and their 2 sons, Ricky and Anthony, are in
need of household items, clothing donations and/or monetary donations to
help them get back on their feet.  One boy wears size 10-12 boys pants,
and a size 3 1/2 shoe, and the other one wears size 12-14 pants and a 5
1/2 shoe.  The mother wears a size 16 Women's clothes, and a 9 1/2 shoe,
and the father wears a L-XL shirt, 34-36 pants, and a 10 1/2 shoe.  Any
donations may be brought to the Cafeteria and given to Susie for this
family.

Our menu for today includes:
             Enchiladas
             Refried beans
             Mexican rice
             Corn
             Hamburgers
             French fries

And for dessert an all Amerian standby:  Apple Cobbler.