[Eoscstudents] National Trio Day Update

Sue Lovett slovett at eosc.edu
Thu Feb 18 11:02:25 CST 2010

I want to give you an update on yesterday's trip to OKC for National
Trio Day.  We had 20 students, 3 staff, and 2 honored guests--Dr.
Harrison and Kathy Couch.  It was a wonderful trip, the students were
all so well behaved, and the ride was wonderful due to the nice bus and
to the driving abilities of Robert Tackett.  He was really the best!!
He was so helpful to us all and very patient!  Thank you so much Robert.

It was a delight to have Dr. Harrison and Ms. Couch with us.  They
helped me so much just being supportive and I got many new ideas and
insights from them on the trip.  At the ceremonies, we heard from 3
students who were Trio participants, and for me, this was the best part
of the trip.  Just to hear how they overcame adversities to succeed in
college with the help of  a Trio program was inspiring.  That's what
this is all about for me and for the women I work with.  I think that
Dr. Harrison and Ms. Couch would also agree.  Helping students who have
family problems, financial problems, and disability challenges to become
successful college students and productive citizens is our goal and mission.

The great news is that Eastern won recognition yet again for it's
efforts in the community service project!   Over 1200 lbs of food was
collected from all the Trio projects in the state, and Eastern's Student
Support Services project was responsible for over half of the total!!
Give yourselves a hand!  Thanks to all who donated and to all the
buildings that let us put our boxes out.

We hope that next year's trip will be even bigger and better!

Sue Lovett, Director
Student Support Services
Eastern Oklahoma State College
Wilburton, OK 74578