[Oacrao-l] Question about failing grades for non attendance

Troy Milligan milligant at redlandscc.edu
Thu Aug 11 14:22:11 CDT 2011

Janice,

We utilize a similar system to what Rick Edgington at NOC uses.   Through our online roster and grading system, faculty can access rosters, contact information for student, course availability for assisting students in finding sections with open seats,  and submit roster certifications, midterm grades, and final grades.

Ø  Roster Certification - By 5pm the next business day after the census date, faculty are to certify attendance or non-attendance in all of their classes that have met.  Attendance for these purposes is defined as attending a live class at least once or logging into an online class at least once.  Rather than removing students from the class for non-attendance as NOC does, we have a procedure that reduces the number of financial aid eligible hours by the number ofcredit  hours each students is not attending.  Students are informed at the time of enrollment of the importance of attending class, and they are emailed when fin aid hours are reduced for non-attendance.

Ø  F Grades - when faculty submit an 'F' grade for a student, that faculty member must submit a 'date of last attendance', which is the date of last attendance for a live class or date of last login for an online class.  For students who earn an 'F', the date of last attendance is defined as the last date of the semester.  This process allows us to identify earned and non-attendance 'F' grades.

Troy