[Oacrao-l] Scanning Documents and HS Transcripts

Stringfellow, Alan astringfellow at occc.edu
Mon Jul 1 10:04:44 CDT 2013

Good Morning!

For those institutions that scan all documents of current students I have a couple of questions for you.  First of all, do you attempt to white-out or remove the shot records of students on their high school transcripts?  As you know, more and more high schools include that information on their high school transcript.  If we don't remove this information prior to scanning the document, are we subject to HIPAA guidelines?  I am concerned that we are subject to HIPAA upon scanning this information since we are essentially archiving what is considered a medical record, but I would love to hear the perspective of others on this subject.

Alan

Alan Stringfellow M.ED.  | OCCC | Registrar |
7777 S. May Avenue | Oklahoma City, OK  73159 |
p: 405.682.7522 | f: 405.688.3902 |
e: astringfellow at occc.edu<mailto:astringfellow at occc.edu>

[OCCC_logoTransred]