[Oacrao-l] Concurrent Students

Cooper, Stephanie G. scooper at ecok.edu
Thu Sep 11 17:05:07 CDT 2014

Hello fellow OACRAO members,

I am wanting to find out from you all how you're handling concurrent students and their high school schedules and overloads.

Our policy has always required the high school student to submit their high school schedule to us prior to us allowing them to enroll in a college class so that we could check for overloads and verify the number of classes that the Principal put on the verification form. We currently have an issue now where many of our local schools will not allow their high school students to finalize their high school schedules until they are enrolled with us because they want to verify that the student is actually taking the college course.

The problem that we have encountered is that 1) we have to contact the high school after the fact to have them send over the student's schedules because the students aren't getting them to us; 2) many of the Principal's signed the verification forms showing the student would be enrolled in 4 or 5 classes (for example), but the student is actually in 6 classes; and 3) the high school students are changing their schedules once school starts so what they were tentatively enrolled in previously is different from what we were told. So now we have to submit overload forms to our Academic Vice President's office for approval and it's a hassle.

I am just curious as to what some of your processes are (that work) when dealing with this issue. All responses are welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

Stephanie
Stephanie Cooper, MSHR
Interim Director of Admissions & Records/Registrar
East Central University
Office of Admissions & Records
1100 E 14 ECU PMB J-8
Ada, OK 74820
(580) 559-5239 (ph)
(580) 559-5432 (fax)
scooper at ecok.edu

The highest result of education is tolerance.<http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/3223.html>
                              ~Helen Keller
East Central University's mission is to foster a learning environment in which students, faculty, staff, and community interact to educate students for life in a rapidly changing and culturally diverse society. Within its service area, East Central University provides leadership for economic development and cultural enhancement.