[Oacrao-l] Senate Bill 138

Archer, Daniel darcher at osrhe.edu
Wed Apr 22 22:47:02 CDT 2015

Colleagues,

Governor Fallin signed Senate Bill 138<http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16%20ENR/SB/SB138%20ENR.PDF> yesterday.  This is the bill I discussed at the OACRAO conference on April 3.  As a reminder, Senate Bill 138 provides opportunities for individuals, who meet certain conditions, to be classified as in-state students and thus pay in-state tuition rates.

Senate Bill 138 expands the criteria in the Veteran's Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 and also increases existing state statutory language to allow more students to qualify for in-state status.  We will revise the In-State/Out-of-State Status of Enrolled Students policy to align with Senate Bill 138.

We anticipate the State Regents will approve the revisions of the In-State/Out-of-State Status of Enrolled Students policy at their May 29 meeting.  Senate Bill 138 will become active on July 1, 2015. In the meantime, to ensure compliance with Senate Bill 138, institutions should work to identify students that will need to be reclassified as in-state.

Daniel Archer
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
655 Research Parkway
Oklahoma City, OK  73104
Phone: (405) 225-9142