[Oacrao-l] Nigerian Applicants

Chelsea Phillips cphillips at usao.edu
Fri Sep 23 11:54:22 CDT 2016

Do any of you charge an application fee or processing fee for international
admissions?  We have had an unusually large number of students applying from
Nigeria over the last year.  Only one of them have gotten a visa and arrived
on campus.  Another thing that has me concerned is that often times they
will have the same mailing address as other Nigerian applicants.  The few
that I have talked to on the phone claim to not have any friends that have
applied to our university even though they are using the same address.  Is
it common for them to go to some sort of placement agency to find a school
in the U.S. and perhaps the addresses I'm seeing are the placement agency?
Also, when I (or our admissions office) get an email from one Nigerian
applicant, it is typically followed by 4-5 emails from other Nigerian
applicants with almost the exact same message.  Our international student
population are typically student athletes or have some sort of connection to
USAO (i.e. friend or relative attended here and recommended us).

Thanks,

Chelsea Phillips

Registrar/Director of Enrollment & Records

 <http://www.usao.edu/> University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

405-574-1205 (office)

405-574-1220 (fax)

  _____

This e-mail (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or
protected by legal privilege. Any unauthorized review, use, copy, disclosure
or distribution of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the appropriate party at USAO, and
immediately destroy all copies of this e-mail. USAO does not accept any
liability for breach of security, error or virus that may result from the
transmission of this message.