[Okgrantsmanship] Newsletter: Measuring IRB Performance

Mason, Linda lmason at osrhe.edu
Tue Oct 13 08:24:24 CDT 2009

IRBNet <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/y>

Innovative Solutions for
Compliance and Research Management

Spotlight

Measuring IRB Performance:

Metrics, Efficiency and Savings

  www.irbnet.org <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/j>

   October 2009

Measuring IRB Performance:
Establish and Report Key Metrics

IRBs, IACUCs and other compliance committees are often challenged to
manage a portfolio of projects that is growing in both size and
scientific complexity while under constant pressure to drive efficiency,
manage costs and do more with less. Before committees can implement
effective process improvement, the current processes must be measured
and opportunities for improvement identified.

Key questions include:
- What are your key performance metrics?
- What is the average administrative review time?
- What is the average expedited review cycle time?
- Where are your bottlenecks?
- Where are opportunities for process improvement?

 <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/t>

The graph above <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/i>
illustrates the reduction in total expedited review times that a member
organization realized while using IRBNet. For a more detailed example
click here <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/d>  to
download additional member results as presented by Stony Brook
University and IRBNet at the OHRP Research Community Forum
<http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/h>  in NYC on September
11, 2009.

IRBNet provides a unique and unmatched ability to harness data and key
performance metrics that support strategic and operational decision
making, enable audit and management reporting, and drive process
improvement and efficiency across member organizations. To learn more
about how your organization can start measuring your processes and
committee performance at new levels, and start immediately gaining new
insights to drive efficiency across your compliance and oversight
activities, visit us at www.irbnet.org
<http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/k> .

Why IRBNet?
Three Keys to Success.

1. The Complete Solution

IRBNet is the leading web-based product suite to manage the complex
federal ethics compliance requirements governing human, animal and
recombinant DNA research, and seamlessly powers IRB, IACUC, Biosafety,
Sponsored Programs and other critical committees on a unified platform.
Members participate in the largest research and compliance oversight
network in the country.

IRBNet members include hospitals and hospital networks, universities and
research institutions, and both federal and state agencies.

2. Flexible, Intuitive, Easy to Use

Your own forms, processes, and standards. The data you need. Electronic
submissions. Form wizards. Agendas, minutes, correspondence and more.

Easy to use, web-based tools that are rapidly launched and backed by
best practices expertise and the industry's leading support team.

3. Secure, Reliable, Cost-Effective

IRBNet's secure web-based solution is accessible to your research
community anytime, anywhere. Our enterprise-class technology is designed
to accommodate institutions of any size.

IRBNet Members benefit from streamlined processes, reduced information
technology and operational costs, shortened cycle times, greater process
transparency and superior data reporting.

Case Study:
Hospital Network Saves with IRBNet

In this historic moment of austerity it is more important than ever to
save money, drive efficiency and provide a platform for future research
growth without compromising compliance or quality of service.

Benefits: Hospital Member-initiated case study
<http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/u>
- Committee administrative time cut by ~60%
- Reduced support budgets
- Shortened review cycles
- Secure electronic document storage
- Eliminate costly paper processes
- Increased Committee capacity
- Increased data integrity
- Increased operational staff efficiency
- Greater committee and researcher satisfaction

 <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/o>

"The electronic process is saving our office literally reams of paper
and toner, and my time to make the copies. I was submitting 30 copies of
every item." Researcher

"I can find my work no matter where I'm located. As opposed to the past
when paper was always where I was not." Committee Member

We'll show you how we can help you manage your bottom line versus legacy
approaches. For a copy of the IRBNet Case Study summary presented at
PRIM&R, or to learn more about how your institution could benefit from
IRBNet, visit us at www.irbnet.org
<http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/b> .

Upcoming 2009 Events

NCURA <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/n>  51th Annual
Meeting
Washington DC, October 21-24

PRIM&R <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/p>  Annual HRPP
Conference
Nashville, TN, November 14-16
(IRBNet Annual Member Reception)

Online Demo

Demo <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/x>

Editor's note

This newsletter is meant to inform and provoke thought on key issues in
research compliance. We will continue to probe issues of importance in
future newsletters. Please do not hesitate to write with suggestions for
future topics or individuals to interview.

If you know someone who may be interested in receiving this newsletter,
you can easily forward up to five copies
<http://irbnet.forwardtomyfriend.com/y/jdiiuksd/954EC8B5/kuukdk/l>  at
once.

Andrew Olmsted
IRBNet
PO Box 1325
Lebanon, NH 03766
www.irbnet.org <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/l/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/m>
news at irbnet.org

(c) 2002-2009 Research Dataware, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Unsubscribe
<http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/u/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/>  from this newsletter.

 <http://irbnet.cmail5.com/t/y/o/kuukdk/jdiiuksd/o.gif>