[Okgrantsmanship] College Equity Grants

Mason, Linda lmason at osrhe.edu
Tue Mar 11 10:39:03 CDT 2014

Funding Trend: College Opportunity Equality

Mar 11<http://the-grant-advisors.com/2014/03/11/funding-trend-college-opportunity-equality/> - GRANT ADVISORS

Posted by raysweeney<http://the-grant-advisors.com/author/raysweeney/>

With the Higher Education Act up for reauthorization this fiscal year, the Obama administration is focused on addressing college opportunity inequality in the rewrite. In true White House fashion (see the recent My Brother's Keeper program), the administration isn't waiting around for action by Congress, instead attracting private dollars to fund its wishes.

Last month, the White House held a College Opportunity Summit<http://tinyurl.com/pgkdu7t> to announce its private funding commitments. At the event, 150 universities, businesses and nonprofits made concrete commitments to reduce inequality in access to higher education and "help every hardworking kid go to college and succeed when they get to campus."

The following organizations have committed $5 million for College Summit's ScholarJob<http://www.collegesummit.org/scholarjob/>: Deloitte<http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/about/community-investment/charitable-giving/index.htm>, Darden Restaurants<http://www.darden.com/commitment/community/grants.asp>, Walmart<http://foundation.walmart.com/>, AT&T<http://www.att.com/gen/corporate-citizenship?pid=7736>, Mutual of America<https://www.mutualofamerica.com/CPA/BillMoyersRetrospective>, and the Samberg Family Foundation<http://sambergfdn.org/>. The new initiative will help low-income students connect getting an education with getting a great career.

This year, with an investment from the Bezos Family Foundation<http://www.bezosfamilyfoundation.org/>, ScholarJob volunteers will partner with College Summit student Peer Leaders to scale up the program, equipping more than 100,000 high school students from low-income communities in 10 cities with cutting-edge technology to help them explore careers and to attend and complete college.

Those with additional questions can contact Grant Advisors Ray Sweeney and Frank Klimko at (410) 934-7652 or askthegrantadvisors at gmail.com<mailto:askthegrantadvisors at gmail.com>

Dr. Linda Mason
Coordinator of Grant Writing
405-225-9486 desk
405-706-8757 cell
405-225-9230 FAX
lmason at osrhe.edu<mailto:lmason at osrhe.edu>
www.okhighered.org/grant-opps/<http://www.okhighered.org/grant-opps/>

Do not be afraid to give your time to writing grant proposals. Time given to planning proposals is never time lost, but is rather time gained, so that our research, our programs, our collaborations and indeed our whole profession may become more profoundly significant.