[Oacrao-l] Question about failing grades for non attendance

Rick Edgington Rick.Edgington at north-ok.edu
Tue Aug 9 19:16:27 CDT 2011

Janice,
We use an on-line grading system that utilizes three different submissions: 1. Certification/Census Roster where the faculty submit those who are "no shows" and we remove them out of the system BEFORE we process federal financial aid, 2. Mid-Term roster where we communicate with students & advisors those grades of D or F at mid-term, and 3. Final Grade where the faculty may submit either an F or AW grade but they must give last date of attendance before they can proceed to the next student in their class. This allows financial aid & the VA to have all of their necessary dates.  Faculty can WARN/DROP a student in the first 14 weeks of class for attendance issues. Because we are dealing with freshmen & sophomores, we strongly encourage faculty to use this system.  Our position is that payment of tuition & fees is punitive enough without assigning failing grades to those who have dropped off the face of the earth. Hope this helps.

Rick
NOC